Contact

Accidents aren't naughty is made deliberately. Any of the contributors can be reached via jeff.

Tick the box to make links open in new windows


Archives

News

BBC

Newspapers

Google News

Indymedia



Fun

Popbitch

B3TA

Landover Baptist

Local

Bristol Indymedia

Bristolian

Bristol Online

This 

page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?


(May 29, 2002)


Politicising da Yoof!


My current bugbear is how young people nowadays are much less politically aware than I was.
I think it has a lot to do with current musical trends, can anyone tell me of any dance music / nu metal / pop which has political content?
I grew up with punk and my political leanings come from what the bands were singing about, post '65 rock (Dylan, Stones, Beatles, Who etc) started it, and apart from mid '70s prog crap this continued right through until dance music became the in thing! ( I know someone will now tell me that dance music can be seen as freedom of expression/self determination)
Early Rap / Hip Hop seemed to be going somewhere but soon degenerated into macho posturing.
I'm now trying to politicise the youth bt including some interesting books in HMV.
Tried No Logo a while ago which seemed to work so have now got
Fast Food Nation in
and am trying a couple of Russ Kick titles
Anyone got any other good ideas for books which might work?

posted by Anonymous 20:19
Comments: Post a Comment